Felixstowe Salvation Army Archive

Online archive of The Salvation Army Felixstowe Corps

New Mercy Seat 1923
This Mercy Seat or Penitent-form was first installed in the Walton Salvation Army hall in 1923 when Ensign and Mrs. William Grottick were the Commanding Officers of the corps. The corps arranged for this provision as a memorial to Felixstowe Salvationists who made the supreme sacrifice in the 1914-1918 war. In the picture we see Corps Treasurer Henry Parker, the contractor responsible for its installation together with the Commanding Officer, the Commanding Officer’s father: Commissioner Grottick, his brother: Lieutenant Albert Grottick and Brother Harry Parker Jnr. In 1979 when the corps transferred to its present premises in Cobbold Road, a special sense of continuity was provided by the installation of this same Mercy Seat in the new premises. A modernisation of the worship hall in 1995  resulted in it being replaced.

Keywords: 1923

New Mercy Seat 1923

This Mercy Seat or Penitent-form was first installed in the Walton Salvation Army hall in 1923 when Ensign and Mrs. William Grottick were the Commanding Officers of the corps. The corps arranged for this provision as a memorial to Felixstowe Salvationists who made the supreme sacrifice in the 1914-1918 war. In the picture we see Corps Treasurer Henry Parker, the contractor responsible for its installation together with the Commanding Officer, the Commanding Officer’s father: Commissioner Grottick, his brother: Lieutenant Albert Grottick and Brother Harry Parker Jnr. In 1979 when the corps transferred to its present premises in Cobbold Road, a special sense of continuity was provided by the installation of this same Mercy Seat in the new premises. A modernisation of the worship hall in 1995 resulted in it being replaced.